Friday, September 5, 2014

August 28 - Ashley and Nastia

Today was the drop-off. My first taste of pure independence and self-reliance in Rwanda. Our orientation group was split into four groups dedicated to four areas of local industry in Kigali: communication, technology, market research, and restaurants and bars. We were given a sheet of questions and told to be back in three hours to debrief and share what we learned from talking with locals and visiting our respective localities.
View on the way to Kimironko market

My group got assigned market research in the nearby area of Kimironko (pronounced Chimironko). I recognized the name as the sector of my homestay. Ashley, Nastia, and I caught a bus from Kaciyru to Kimironko. The crowded market and streets rife with motorcycles, sweaty working bodies, and loud Kinyarwanda. This was going to be home for the next four months. It was exactly how I had innocently imagined Kigali, a picturesque moment with all right components: the focused homogenous people, the national unity demonstrated by Rwandan flags and colors on every corner, the eager bus boys and motorcyclists, the clouds of red dust which masked the myriad of hills in the beautiful urban city.

The research assignment was enlightening. We learned that prices are relatively cheap because most of the products and produce were procured locally. The most hopeful of news: it’s about 350 FRW for one avocado ($0.50).  I was exceedingly happy to use my Kinyarwanda to bargain for an adapter, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment