Friday, September 5, 2014

August 27 - Nathan

Disclaimer: I apologize for posting so late and for the absence of many photos. Because of poor internet connectivity and limited time to post, I am committing to my original statement of unconventional and sporadic posting.

View of morning sunrise
I went for a run alone this morning. Admittedly not the smartest move. But hey, I did not get lost whatsoever and the morning mosquito bites on my forehead were totally worth it. It’s only my second day in Rwanda, and I feel like I could most definitely get used to life here. The morning smog sticks to your skin, and the smell of burnt rubber aromatically fills the streets as students and businesspeople make their commute.  Kigali is a city like any other—just one filled with intense, calve-building hills, congested, unruly streets, and red blanketing dust.

In class, I learned a little more about life and culture in Rwanda as one of our program coordinators, Apollon Kabaniti, lectured on current standings of the country to provide some relevant context. Interesting fact: there are eight defined current values in Rwandan culture:
  • Agaciro: dignity for Rwandan people themselves
  • Ubuntu: defending humanity and generosity
  • Gacaca: communal accountability
  • Ingando: compulsory education for children
  • Umuganda: monthly community service
  • Imihigo: promote the country as the best
  • Gukund igihugu: national patriotism

Also, another interesting fact is that the country’s political framework is actively seeking public participation through umuganda, reserving roles for women, youth, the physically challenged or disabled, etc. It is giving recognition and providing for populations that are typically marginalized and underrepresented. The government currently wants to rebuild the country from a rooted heritage in values like gacaca and umuganda; these values are intended to foster entrepreneurship in cooperatives, in addition to sponsoring institutions for universal healthcare and education.

After Apollon’s lesson, the SIT group had a health-related orientation which reaffirmed a ton about what we already knew: mosquito nets at night, malaria medication by day, and E. Bola is mainly in West Africa.  We also had our first Kinyarwanda lesson at the School for International Training, and while I feel like I could not spell a single word correctly, I know feel confident in asking any person for directions…

Ndshaka kujya ku Kaciyru minister. Wamfasha? (I want to go to Kaciyru. Can you please help me?)

Or lingo for the bus…

N’angahe na bisi? (How much for the bus ride?)


Typical street view in Kacyiru
The instructor, Master P or J.P., is absolutely wonderful. He is validating yet appropriately critical of our pronunciation. Master P speaks Swahili, Kinyarwanda, French, and English—a jack of all trades really. I can already tell that Kinyarwanda is going to be my favorite…language always is and always will be. This post is dedicated to my friend, Nathan, who is also a language enthusiast; he hopes to be a polyglot, and I look forward to the day he can also communicate with me in Kinyarwanda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment